August 23, 2004

Personal essay: Marriage ruined my blog

On the morning of Saturday, August 7, in the final hours of bachelorhood, I sat at my parents’ kitchen table and talked about the moves at the trade deadline. Rodriguez was working out well in his first few appearances, I reflected over a cup of juice, but it would be nice if the Phils could score runs.

I knew I was locked on baseball as a way to repress the anxiety. Then 1:30 came and it was time to get dressed. Then 2:30, and I was standing in front of the church with 150 friends and family, focused on to the woman coming down the isle. It was one of those moments you never forget, and I swear to you, I didn’t think of the Phils more than two or three times during the whole service.

The day is already a blur, but the hazy details are magical: Her dress; her hair; the scallop and bacon hors d’oeuvres.

As soon as the music stopped, and folks started clearing out, we were shuttled away to hotel near the airport before a 5:00 flight to San Francisco, and then, Hawaii, where we’d spend then next eight nights in warm embrace.

Between snorkeling, lu’aus and helicopter tours, I lost track of the Phillies, which is hard to believe because who can forget a guy like David Bell.

Part of the problem was that games would be over by 3 in the afternoon Hawaii time, which I never got used to, and I couldn’t remember whether the scores I saw on TV were the results from last night or that day. It gave me a headache just thinking about the Phillies anyway, their poor pitching, bad bats and inept GM. I thought of this as I mechanically glanced over the boxscores in the Maui Times News while eating pancakes and pineapple at breakfast buffet.

"Wow. The Phils were now 6.5 back. Pass the poi."

And so it went for the rest of the trip. By the end, I had forgotten the names of the new Phillies acquisitions. When I checked the paper on my first day back, they were 7 or 8 games out of first, and had lost 5 straight at home.

But in terms of Berks Phillies Fans, the blog I started with big plans in mind, I was slapped with a brutal reminder the first time I logged on as a married man. My last post was on Gavin Floyd being called up to Scranton, my hit counter seemed stuck in the same position, and I knew, right then and there, that marriage had ruined my blog.

10 Comments:

At 12:28 PM, Blogger Tom G. said...

Congratulations! Glad to know you hadn't just given up (the Phillies that is, apparently you did give up on bachelorhood).

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Jason Weitzel said...

Thanks, Tom. It doesn't seem like I missed too much while basking in the tropical glow. Actually, this season could be last season, and the season before that, and the season before that ...

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger Tom said...

Congrats and best wishes! If you think marriage ruined your blog, wait 'til you have kids! (Actually, just kidding -- becoming a dad was one of the reasons I started a blog.)

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Jason Weitzel said...

Thanks, just plain Tom.

Actually, I acquired a nice asset this afternoon help keep the blog on track ... high-speed Internet.

It's cheaper than having kids.

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger el123chico said...

the thought of little weitzels running around is scary.

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Tom said...

Those scallop and bacon hors d’oeuvres were real good.

 
At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian from the Philling Station:

By Jove, you're back --- I only write for nj.com, I live in Emmaus. We're sorely in need of a good of sense of humor, and that was always your strength.

Hex sign to you

P.s. - I'm sorry about the anon thing, but I hate the signing in process, it's all bullshit.

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Congrats, I hope you and your wife are happy and I hope your big day went well.

I'm getting married on September 4 ... hey, we're going to Hawaii too!

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Jason Weitzel said...

Best wishes to you too, Mike! If you need any marriage advice, let me know.

What island(s) will you be visiting?

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Jason Weitzel said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home