May 06, 2005

... and falling to pieces

The AP is reporting that reliever Tim Worrell asked the Philadelphia Phillies to place him on the 15-day disabled list because of "personal psychological issues."

The wish was granted by general manager Ed Wade. His spot will be replaced by righthander Robinson Tejeda, who pitched in Reading last season.

In a statement released by the team, the move opens the door to speculation.

"I called Ed Wade last night to tell him that I am dealing with some personal psychological issues that I need to resolve," Worrell said. "They are affecting my family life and my ability to do my job. I am going to deal with these issues and I hope to resolve them as quickly as possible. I appreciate the Phillies' understanding and their pledge of confidentiality."

In 11 innings, Worrell has an ERA of 9.82. He gave up three runs in one inning of relief in his most recent outing.

BPF take
Worrell’s self-removal gives the Phillies a better chance to win games.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home